Every day is exactly the same

everyday
Rick Owens from Forward by Elyse Walker

My life has become a clockwork-like routine and my rotating wardrobe reflects this with dedicated precision.

Curating your wardrobe is working toward the vision of building a complete, perfect collection of garments. You cull, you fill gaps, and you’re left with a tightly-edited selection of items to choose from. If you’ve edited well, you should be completely comfortable to wear and re-wear everything with regularity because you love it all.

And while I do love everything I own – given the repetitious nature of my activities and the small percentage of things within that wardrobe which suit those activities, it has become homogeneous.

When getting dressed on Friday night to pick my boyfriend up for his hockey game I realised I had worn the exact same outfit to his Friday night hockey games for at least two months. The same pair of jeans, the same sneakers, the same jacket, the same scarf. I feel good in that outfit; it’s the logical response within my wardrobe to the prospective activity. But when worn so acutely repetitively I also feel fatigued.

I’ve lamented frequently that I don’t seem to have an expansive enough selection of things to wear to the workshop, but my life away from the bench hadn’t ever factored into my wardrobe scrutiny until now. Friday nights that were spent in stilettos are now spent in sneakers – I still love everything I own but I don’t live the same life I did when I bought most of it.

It was then I realised that I’d thought there was a point where one would be “finished” curating their wardrobe.

Life changes often for all of us and I wonder now how realistic having a static capsule wardrobe really is for any of us for longer than a two-year interval. Trying to create this idealised collection of garments is a popular undertaking for many people at the moment and I always thought the challenge of maintaining a curated wardrobe would be staying dedicated to a particular style. It never occurred to me that it might be my changing lifestyle that would cause the conflict.

I’m not willing to let go of my stilettos or my beautiful silk dresses because they’re still relevant to my taste. If they go unworn for another year or more then I may need to rethink why I am holding onto them. But it seems that as long as our lives evolve, so too do our wardrobes – we’ll never not be curating.

Have any of you created a capsule wardrobe that’s withstood the test of time? Did you find yourself having to constantly edit it? If so, was it due to style changes or lifestyle changes?

I had a big change in style about a year and a half ago. I went from someone who loved very girly clothes (Alannah Hill, RedValentino etc.) to someone who loved more clean and structured clothing (Ellery, Dion Lee etc). I have slowly built my new wardrobe up and it does include clothing that isn’t suitable for all situations – I think these types of clothing are important to have for special occaisions and are just fun to wear sometimes! When I start working in a corporate job next year, these clothes will essentially only be worn out of hours and on weekends – but that doesn’t mean I should cull them all and only wear corporate clothing. At the end of the day, clothes are clothes, and if you get joy out of wearing them, even if its not on a hugely regular basis then I think its fine to keep them.

S shared this comment on 01 July 2013 at 12:22 PM

I see my wardrobe as a having a revolving door. Things go in, things go out and that’s a reflection of my life and the ways in which it changes and grows and swings right around. I’ve never been one to build a capsule wardrobe, my love of a statement piece contradicts the point a little I think, but even that concept is surely a fluid one.

Kirbybee shared this comment on 01 July 2013 at 8:23 PM

There are things in my wardrobe that have been there for almost 10 years. But also lifestyle changes, like changing jobs, influences my wardrobe too.

Prêt à Porter P shared this comment on 01 July 2013 at 11:11 PM

I’ve been feeling the same way as you. While I still care about my fashion sense, I tend to wear the same outfits everytime I go out. Lately, I’ve been feeling like I need a change, but then I realize I don’t need to because the clothes I wear are so comfortable. I realized that for me it’s so important to invest on those staple items that you’ll wear over and over. I have so many loud, style provoking clothes that I’ve only worn 3 or 4 times. I still love them, but I still wish I had a variety of drapey, loose tees that I can throw on over ANYTHING.

Mawes shared this comment on 04 July 2013 at 7:33 AM

I’ve found myself thinking the same thing about the idea of a ‘capsule’ wardrobe lately – when does it stop? Realistically, I have (very nearly) all the elements to cover pretty much any occasion in my current wardrobe. So is that it? Am I done? I’ve definitely changed my shopping habits. I still, like you, seek the ‘ultimate’ versions of things I have, but I don’t really NEED to buy anything…until something gets too worn to be included, until I change size or age, until life throws a new direction at me. I think a capsule wardrobe has defined parameters. At this point in my life I can pack a MEAN travel capsule wardrobe, but my whole wardrobe can’t travel with me as is through life.

I think when one is older the idea of ‘capsule’ can be replaced with ‘uniform’ to the same ends.

CapnMueller shared this comment on 06 July 2013 at 8:32 PM

Editing never ends. It’s a dynamic, organic process by its very nature. A few years ago, after a big lifestyle change, I had an epiphany and completely overhauled my wardrobe.

ODYSSEY shared this comment on 07 July 2013 at 1:50 AM

Like kirtybee I usually think of my wardrobe as a shifting and living thing. I go through phases and I’ve learned to embrace that, even as I’ve also begun planning my purchases much more strictly over the past few years. It’s sort of like two sides of a coin, I really have a need for both rigidity (one major item a month, neutrals only except for accessories or a rare accent piece) and flexibility (I’ve switched almost completely to high-waisted pants and skirts within the last year, just as an example). Obviously a shift in personal circumstances can foretell a change in wardrobe – now that I cycle to graduate school, my shoe choices are very different and I have a sudden, desperate need for sleeveless tops. But wardrobe fatigue can be just as deadly. I think the strength of a wardrobe shows in its capacity to be adapted to include new pieces. For example, today I’m wearing a skirt I’ve had since 2006, but have paired it with a secondhand grey chambray button-up – a type of sillouhette I wouldn’t have dreamed of wearing back then.

f. shared this comment on 08 July 2013 at 11:32 PM