Into The Gray

I was recently lamenting on twitter that I constantly struggle to keep my white bed linen pristine. I just adore sleeping in my “fluffy white cloud” but with regular laundering the once-clinical whites have become slightly yellowed despite only being washed with other white items. I use napisan and bluo in conjunction with my regular laundry detergent but the whites continue to discolour and it’s incredibly disheartening.

I feel that I have two options short of spending a fortune replacing my linen with lovely new bright whites that will only succumb to the same fate — dunking the current lot in a tub of bleach (which may do very little), or begin introducing enough grey onto my bed to brighten the whites by comparison.

A semblance of various toned pillowcases and perhaps a light blanket for the top of the quilt for winter… these grey and white bedrooms are the perfect inspiration.

Delicious eye candy for this Monday morning. Everything in my bedroom is white, white white, and it too is beginning to drive me crazy how hard it is to maintain. This is great inspiration! xx

Sam shared this comment on 27 February 2012 at 12:12 PM

I love the idea of using a picture rail as a shoe rack. I also dig how these rooms almost look like black and white photos.

Nicole shared this comment on 27 February 2012 at 1:56 PM

It’s my dream to have pretty white bed linen, it’s one of my favourite things about staying in a good hotel. Sadly though, living with dogs that sleep on the bed with me just doesn’t work with white very well. Those pictures are so great though, and I think the dash of grey would work wonders brightening up the white.

Natalie shared this comment on 27 February 2012 at 2:14 PM

I had this problem too, until a few weeks ago, someone told me to final rinse in vinegar and dry it in the sun and it whitened my bedlinen considerably. It kinda smelt slightly like Id been eating fish and chips in bed for a day or so but that faded and now its fine.

Bek shared this comment on 27 February 2012 at 4:44 PM

I think grey mixed with white, especially something similar to these visual examples would look amazing!

Magnet shared this comment on 27 February 2012 at 8:49 PM

The grey will look fabulous :-D Nice soft dove greys would be amazing – I like those cooler shades. Perfect for the bedroom indeed.
What I do with my whites is soak them in Napisan (the one in the pink tub – OxyAction?) for a couple of days – The longer soak helps get rid of the yellowing. Make the concentration a bit higher than recommended too. But you’re probably already doing that since you said you used Napisan.

Esz shared this comment on 27 February 2012 at 9:44 PM

I agree with the other commenter, protein stains (gross, I know) are only made worse by bleach. Try soaking them in a vinegar solution (about half & half) for a few hours and then laundering (without bleach) as usual.

Emily shared this comment on 28 February 2012 at 1:47 AM

I hear you. I love my all white bedroom but the washing is unbelievable. On the plus side it’s encouraging me to launder regularly. A touch of grey sounds like a nice solution, perhaps just a couple of cushions like the top photograph.

Lucinda shared this comment on 01 March 2012 at 11:19 AM